PHOTOS: Megabus passengers stranded - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

PHOTOS: Megabus passengers stranded

Posted: Updated:
"You have adults, children and elderly people just waiting on the sidewalk for a trip that's not going to happen," said Michael Hamilton, a Megabus passenger.

About 50 or 60 stranded Megabus travelers waited in front of the West Peachtree MARTA station, early Monday morning. Some stood, some even slept on the sidewalk while they were waited on a bus that was scheduled to depart Atlanta just before midnight Sunday evening.

The riders, all headed to different locations, like Cleveland and Toledo had one thing in common: a missing bus.

Shannon Finnerty and her husband were headed to Cleveland.

"They sent out three different emails. The first two said they would be delayed an hour and the third one said they would give us a refund and they were sorry but it wasn't canceled." Finnerty said.

One Megabus customer called "Customer Service" and was told a bus was coming within the hour -- that was around 2 a.m.
Three hours later, Finnerty and her husband were still waiting.

Hamilton thinks Megabus should have alerted passengers of the delay or cancellation prior to passengers arriving at the bus stop.

"They have our email addresses, that's how they send out our confirmation," he said.

Other buses have arrived and departed but none were able to offer any information on the status of the missing bus.

Sean Hughes, Associate Director of Corporate Affairs, Coach USA North America on behalf of Megabus released a statement on Monday morning saying: had a mechanical problem with the original bus that was to depart from Atlanta this morning and immediately sent a relief bus. Unfortunately, the relief bus en route to pick up the passengers experience a mechanical problem and was unable to transport any passengers. Upon hearing about the relief bus mechanical problem, a third bus was sent to the Atlanta stop and is currently on the way to Cincinnati.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our passengers. All the passengers have received a full refund and have been rebooked to their final destination. Safety is’s number one priority.”

Travelers were finally picked up around 7 a.m. Monday morning. Megabus offered no explanation to passengers.

Powered by WorldNow

1551 Briarcliff Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30306

Main Number: (404) 875-5555
News Tips: (404) 898-0100

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices