Attorney says Sterling agrees to $2 billion sale - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Attorney says Sterling agrees to $2 billion sale

Posted: Updated:
LOS ANGELES -

The NBA has found a way out of the Donald Sterling situation.

An attorney for the embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner says Sterling has agreed to sign off on selling the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for what would be a record $2 billion, according to his attorney. Sterling bought the team for $12 million in 1981.

Sterling "has made an agreement with the NBA to resolve all their differences" and as co-owner has given his consent to a deal that was negotiated by his wife, Shelly Sterling, to sell the team, said attorney Maxwell Blecher.

Donald Sterling sued the NBA in federal court last week alleging the NBA violated his constitutional rights by relying on information from an "illegal" recording that publicized racist remarks he made to a girlfriend. It also says the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling $2.5 million and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.

Blecher said the suit will be dismissed. If the NBA owners approve the sale, it will be a record-high sale for an NBA team.

  • More SportsMore>>

  • Stewart says Ward’s death will affect him forever

    Stewart says Ward’s death will affect him forever

    Unshaven and with a quivering voice, NASCAR superstar Tony Stewart said the death of Kevin Ward Jr. will "affect my life forever" as he returned to the track Friday for the first time since his car struck and killed the fellow driver during a sprint race in New York three weeks ago.

    Unshaven and with a quivering voice, NASCAR superstar Tony Stewart said the death of Kevin Ward Jr. will "affect my life forever" as he returned to the track Friday for the first time since his car struck and killed the fellow driver during a sprint race in New York three weeks ago.

  • Falcons cut 7th-round draft pick Yawin Smallwood

    Falcons cut 7th-round draft pick Yawin Smallwood

    The Atlanta Falcons have cut 12 players, including linebacker Yawin Smallwood, a seventh-round pick from Connecticut, and running back Josh Vaughan.
    The Atlanta Falcons have cut 12 players, including linebacker Yawin Smallwood, a seventh-round pick from Connecticut, and running back Josh Vaughan.
  • Yates states case to be Falcons' backup QB

    Yates states case to be Falcons' backup QB

    T.J. Yates made a strong case to be Atlanta's backup quarterback Thursday night, throwing for 243 yards and two touchdowns in a 24-14 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars in both teams' preseason finale.
    T.J. Yates made a strong case to be Atlanta's backup quarterback Thursday night, throwing for 243 yards and two touchdowns in a 24-14 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars in both teams' preseason finale.
Powered by WorldNow

1551 Briarcliff Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30306

Main Number: (404) 875-5555
News Tips: (404) 898-0100

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices