I-Team: Local man pays high price in online dating scam - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

I-Team: Local man pays high price in online dating scam

Posted: Updated:

Online dating – it might be a natural for the younger set. But, for men and women who might be middle-aged and who didn't start dating that way, there's often a learning curve.

And, before you dive into the wide world of online dating, here's a cautionary tale from a brave, but embarrassed man who talked to FOX 5 I-Team's Dana Wolfe about the pitfalls of meeting a stranger online and trying to find love.

All of the red flags were there – all of them. But, Mark Terracina says he fell for a beautiful online stranger anyway. When this online encounter went South, Mark called the I-Team to make sure other people wouldn't be tricked in their online efforts to find true love.

Mark is recently divorced and looking for some romantic companionship in his life. Still, he says it's hard to start dating again.

So, he signed up for online dating.  And, early on, Mark read to be on the lookout for overseas love interests who were more likely interested in his wallet.

"Nigerian woman would ping and there were several ladies from Russia," Mark said.

But, despite being guarded, he still he managed to get caught in the web of a scam when he connected on Match.com with "Jessica Waterman."  Her appeal?  She said she lived about a mile from him.

"She gave me her address and said feel free to go check it out," Mark said.

He said he didn't check out Jessica's address right away.

"Not initially because I felt like someone that was gonna give me that much information up front, I probably didn't need to be as on guard," he said.

She also worked some love letter magic on Mark.

"She put three songs together that basically touched my heart."

And, then this online relationship touched his wallet. His local love interest said she was actually out of the country starting up a new antiques import business.

"She presented me with a question and that was, ‘Would you help me with some funds because I'm here in the Philippines, didn't realize it was going to be this much to get my goods shipped.'"

And, Mark did. He sent her $900. If only he had checked out Match.com's warning to be on the lookout for "Claims of ... traveling, living or working abroad." Then, Jessica's business trip to the Philippines would have sent up a red flag.

Still, he paid even though her problems persisted.

Mark said, "So, after that hurdle was cleared, or so I thought, she tried to tell me that her plane ticket was somehow invalidated."

Another $1,400.  Again, too bad Mark hadn't seen this Web site warning users to be aware of someone who "Asks you for money."  He even waited for her at the airport, but she missed her flight -- an accident.

Mark said, "She survived the bus accident, but she needed surgery."

The surgery would cost $1,800. Finally, he put Cupid's arrow back in its quiver. No more. He ended up spending about $2,300 to date a woman he never actually met.

Mark says he's bruised. Embarrassed. And taking a break now from online dating. But, slowly he's starting to laugh again and might be ready to love again.

Mark says he didn't report his troubling tale to Match.com or even the police. He said he thinks he should have known better. So, he called the FOX 5 I-Team to remind people who are pursuing love online to not make some of the same mistakes he did.

• I-Team Story ArchiveMore>>

RAW VIDEO: I-Team's undercover visit to Boggs Mountain

Thursday, April 24 2014 1:43 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:43:54 GMT
    Trial is set May 12 in Rabun County for a case uncovered by the Fox 5 I-Team that continues to trouble animal lovers across the country. Lowanda "Peanut" Kilby faces 60 counts including theft by taking, theft by deception and racketeering.

Identity Protection Bill Signed into Law

Thursday, April 24 2014 11:28 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:28:15 GMT
    With a stroke of the governor's pen, a new law that could help protect your identity now goes into effect. Republican State Senator John Albers says his bill, now law, will prohibit public disclosure of private information in court documents.
  • Fox 5 I-Team

Cheap vs. Frugal

Cheap vs. Frugal

Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:15:25 GMT
    There is nothing wrong with saving a buck, but can you cross the line? There is a difference between being cheap and being frugal.
  • Contact the FOX 5 I-Team

* denotes required fields

We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

Thanks for contacting FOX 5.  To reach our newsroom by phone, please call (404) 898-0100.

• Good Day ArchiveMore>>

Hidden Treasures: April 24

Thursday, April 24 2014 9:32 AM EDT2014-04-24 13:32:15 GMT
    We asked you to share your hidden treasures with us, and boy, did you ever! We got dozens of emails from viewers who wanted to know what the items they had stashed away are worth.

Weekend Event Celebrates "Anything With A Motor In It"

Thursday, April 24 2014 9:10 AM EDT2014-04-24 13:10:13 GMT
    If you spend your days fixing up cars, reading car magazine, and dreaming about that car you've always wanted...you might be a car enthusiast.

Safely restrain pets with the PupSaver

Thursday, April 24 2014 8:07 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:07:29 GMT
    Most people treat their dogs just like their children. However, when it comes to dog safety in the vehicle, many drivers are buckling the children up but not safely restraining their pets.
Powered by WorldNow

1551 Briarcliff Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30306

Main Number: (404) 875-5555
News Tips: (404) 898-0100

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices