Officials identify victims in suspected CO poisoning deaths - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Officials identify victims in suspected CO poisoning deaths

Posted: Updated:
Officials say 40-year-old Sederick Baliem (left) and his son, 11-year-old Sederick Baliem III, died in their East Point home on March 27. Officials say 40-year-old Sederick Baliem (left) and his son, 11-year-old Sederick Baliem III, died in their East Point home on March 27.
EAST POINT, Ga. -

Officials with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office identified the two victims who may have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes on Wednesday.

Officials say 40-year-old Sederick Baliem and his son, 11-year-old Sederick Baliem III, may have been overcome by fumes from a gas generator being used at the home.

Morris Horton told FOX 5 on Wednesday that he was trying to reach his friends who weren't answering the phone. When he arrived at their house on Graywall Street, he discovered both victims dead.

Horton said he got two other children out of the home.

Those children, a 2-year-old Shenice Baliem and a 13-year-old Sederick Balien Jr., were taken to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Hospital officials say the two children have been airlifted to the Augusta Burn Center in critical, but stable condition. They say the burn center has a hyperbaric chamber that is needed for their recovery.

"They're both doing good, They're sitting up and talking. And the treatments, the breathing treatments…it's working. It's going to be a slow process because they still have some in there...but things are looking good," said Darline Stinchcomb, the children's grandmother.

Stinchcomb  said that Baliem defined himself as a father first.

"Got to go to school for a meeting, got to be at the birthday party. Everything he did was centered around his children. Every move he made was centered around his children. Money to take care of those kids," she said.

Stinchcomb said she had no idea that Baliem was struggling financially. other family members told FOX 5 that the power company shut off electricity to this house on Monday because Baliem had not made a payment in months.

In order to heat the home he shared with three of his children, he borrowed a neighbor's gas-powered generator and apparently made the fatal mistake of storing it in his basement.

"The only reason why Sed isn't here right now is because he was trying to take care of them, keep them warm. He just made the wrong choice, that's all," Stinchcomb said.

The medical examiner's office says autopsies are being performed on the two victims, and the cause of death has yet to be determined.

The fire department says they will be out in the neighborhood on Thursday to pass out fliers to warn residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Powered by WorldNow

1551 Briarcliff Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30306

Main Number: (404) 875-5555
News Tips: (404) 898-0100

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices
.